- 1 small eggplant
- some salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3/4 cup smoked mozzarella, cut into 6 slices
- 1 vine ripened tomato, cut into 6 slices
- 6 large basil leaves
- 1tsp balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into 6 thin slices and discard the two outermost slices. Sprinkle the slives with salt and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the broiler to meduim-high and like the rack with foil. Place the eggplant slices on the boiler rack and brush with oil. Broil for 8-10 minutes until tender, turning once, and brushing with extra oil, if necessary.
- Remove from the broiler, then place a slice of mozzarella, a slice of tomato, and a basil leaf in the center of each eggplant slice, and season to taste. Fold the eggplant over the filling and broil seam side down, for 3 minutes until the mozzarella begins to melt. Serve drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
TRY OVER A MIXED-LEAF SALAD